Preparing to Return to Practice Resources
The College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario released updated guidelines for returning to practice, May 27, 2020.
The College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario (CDHO), the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDSO), The College of Denturists of Ontario (CDO), and the College of Dental Technologists of Ontario (CDTO) have released ‘return to practice principles’ which provides an agreed upon foundation for the development or refinement of each College’s IPAC guideline as oral health-care providers plan and prepare for a safe return to practice.
The following table lists recent recalls and safety alerts issued by Health Canada.
|08/05/2020||Hand sanitizers||Health Canada recalling more than 50 hand sanitizers in evolving list. Read article here.|
|08/04/2020||Hand sanitizers||Certain hand sanitizers containing types of ethanol or denaturants that are not acceptable ingredients for use in hand sanitizers in Canada are being recalled from the market.|
|07/03/2020||Hand sanitizers||Hand sanitizers made with industrial-grade ethanol not authorized for use in Canada being recalled from the market.|
|06/24/2020||Hand sanitizers||Hand sanitizers made with technical-grade ethanol not compliant with federal regulations and may pose a risk to health.|
|06/10/2020||Hand sanitizers||Hand sanitizers sold in beverage containers may be mistaken for water or other beverages.|
|06/09/2020||Respirators||Certain respirators, including KN95 respirators, may not meet expected performance standards in Canada.|
Workplace Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Supplier Directory
The Ontario government’s Workplace PPE Supplier Directory and the Federal government’s Supply Hub provides reliable information on how to buy and sell PPE and offers a current list of Ontario companies that are ready to supply personal protective equipment. Dental hygienists might find this a valuable resource if they are trying to access PPE outside their regular supply chain.
Additional PPE Resources
As dental hygienists prepare to return to practice in Ontario, there may be a need to access personal protective equipment (PPE) that is safe, effective and complies with Health Canada safety regulations. ODHA is providing the following resources for general information purposes only and does not endorse or recommend any of the products or businesses listed below. These suppliers are offering their products after contacting ODHA directly, or dental hygienists have sent the information to ODHA. As regulated health professionals, dental hygienists are expected to exercise due diligence with the equipment they use.
- Rapid Response Platform – Platform connects suppliers of critical COVID-19 products with businesses and front-line workers in need. The site is free to use and acts as a central supply and demand hub, offering transparent and searchable information about PPE availability. Suppliers may offer products for donation or sale. No transactions take place on the platform.
- Canadian Linen and Uniform Service Co – Barrier gown rental laundry service
Disposable vs rental cost comparison example
Contact: Rob Eisan, (London), P: 519.686.5000, C: 519.902.4884
- Canadian Linen and Uniform Service Co – Barrier gown rental/purchase, face shields
Contact: Lina Smart, (Hamilton), P: 905.661.6587, C: 289.775.7058
- CanGard – Certified N95 masks, face shields, gloves, masks
- Cintas– Disinfectant Spray and isolation/barrier gowns for rent
Contact: Tyler Smith, P: 416.992.4814, [email protected]
- CHCare – Masks, face shields, disinfecting wipes, hand sanitizer
- D2DPPE – Gowns, masks, face shields, hand sanitizer
- Dialogue Imports – Gowns, masks, face shields
- Fortiva Health – NIOSH N95 Respirators (Makrite: 910-N95FMX and 9500-N95)
Contact: Ramin Modir, [email protected]
- Grainger Canada – Face shields
- Gibson’s Cleaners, GTA (west-end) – L2 dental gowns and free pick up/delivery cleaning program specifically designed for dentists and other oral care providers
- Henry Schein
- Ideal Displays Inc. – Masks, face shields, gloves, hand sanitizer
- Ines Di Santo – Level 1 reusable/washable isolation gowns
Contact: Veronica Di Santo-Abramowicz, P: 905 856 9115, C: 416 451 3865
- Laminati PPE – Masks, respirators, face shields, hand sanitizer
- Levitt-Safety – Dentec Half-Mask NIOSH N95 Reusable Respirator Kit (referenced by Dr. Glogauer in the Managing COVID-19: Strategies to Mitigate the Risk of Transmission webcast)
- Marks Commercial – Masks, face shields, hand sanitizer
P: 1-855-592-7444, email: [email protected]
- Maxill – Masks, gloves, hand sanitizer
- Med Supply – Masks, gloves, gowns, disinfecting supplies
- Medicom – Masks, gowns, disinfecting supplies
- Polar Face Shields – Reusable/sterilizable face shield
- Safe Direct Medical Supplies – Masks, gowns, face shields, hand sanitizer
- Sales Dynamics Inc. – 5-in-1 tower air purifier, portable sanitizer, customized hand sanitizer (see promo)
Contact: Letizia Buglione, P: 416.441.1721 ext 307, C: 647.686.1499, email: [email protected]
- Second Barrier – Face shields
- Shield Savvy – Face shields
- Sinclair – Masks, gowns
- SSECare Solutions – Masks, face shields
- Sure Grip – Face Shields
- The Canadian Shield – Face shields
- The Dental Market Canada – Masks, face shields, gloves, hand sanitizer
- Whitebird – Face shields, gloves, hand sanitizer
- LEO Lab – 3D printed Health Canada approved face shields (see images below).
P: 1-647-494-0488, Toll Free: 1-855-LEO-LAB1 (536-5221)