Preparing to Return to Practice Resources
The College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario released updated guidelines for returning to practice, May 27, 2020.
The College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario (CDHO), the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDSO), The College of Denturists of Ontario (CDO), and the College of Dental Technologists of Ontario (CDTO) have released ‘return to practice principles’ which provides an agreed upon foundation for the development or refinement of each College’s IPAC guideline as oral health-care providers plan and prepare for a safe return to practice.
The following table lists recent recalls and safety alerts issued by Health Canada.
|04/07/2021||Hand sanitizers||(Part 2 Updated April 7th, 2021) Certain hand sanitizers are being recalled because they either contain ingredients that are not permitted by Health Canada or are not properly labelled and are missing important information.|
|01/22/2021||Hand sanitizers||Hand sanitizers labelled as “Anti-Microbe” and/or with DIN 02248351 recalled because they may pose health risks, particularly to children.|
|12/22/2020||PPE||Maskopia (formerly known as Medkem Canada Inc.) has been selling PPE, including gowns, masks and gloves, via social media and websites such as Kijiji without the required Medical Device Establishment Licence (MDEL) from Health Canada.|
|12/16/2020||COVID-19 vaccines||Health Canada warns Canadians not to buy COVID-19 vaccines sold online or from unauthorized sources. Health Canada is warning Canadians not to buy COVID-19 vaccines sold on the internet or from unauthorized sources as they are counterfeit. Counterfeit COVID-19 vaccines may pose serious health risks, and are ineffective at protecting an individual from the COVID-19 virus.|
|12/11/2020||Hand sanitizers||(Part 1: June 17, 2020 – March 24, 2021) Certain hand sanitizers are being recalled because they either contain ingredients that are not permitted by Health Canada or are not properly labelled and are missing important information.|
|10/28/2020||Hand sanitizers||(Updated: January 29, 2021) Testing confirms Bio Life hand sanitizer poses health risks; products recalled across Canada.|
|10/27/2020||Hand sanitizers||Snake Lake Brewing Company Ethanol Sanitizer 80%. Missing risk statements; product not authorized to contain technical-grade ethanol.|
|10/01/2020||Hand sanitizers||Northern National Sales Inc. is recalling a counterfeit version of Zytec Germ Buster hand sanitizer 1L.|
|08/05/2020||Hand sanitizers||Health Canada recalling more than 50 hand sanitizers in evolving list. Read article here.|
|07/03/2020||Hand sanitizers||Hand sanitizers made with industrial-grade ethanol not authorized for use in Canada being recalled from the market.|
|06/24/2020||Hand sanitizers||Hand sanitizers made with technical-grade ethanol not compliant with federal regulations and may pose a risk to health.|
|06/10/2020||Hand sanitizers||Hand sanitizers sold in beverage containers may be mistaken for water or other beverages.|
|06/09/2020||Respirators||Certain respirators, including KN95 respirators, may not meet expected performance standards in Canada.|
Workplace Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Supplier Directory
The Ontario government’s Workplace PPE Supplier Directory and the Federal government’s Supply Hub provides reliable information on how to buy and sell PPE and offers a current list of Ontario companies that are ready to supply personal protective equipment. Dental hygienists might find this a valuable resource if they are trying to access PPE outside their regular supply chain.
Additional PPE Resources
As dental hygienists prepare to return to practice in Ontario, there may be a need to access personal protective equipment (PPE) that is safe, effective and complies with Health Canada safety regulations. ODHA is providing the following resources for general information purposes only and does not endorse or recommend any of the products or businesses listed below. These suppliers are offering their products after contacting ODHA directly, or dental hygienists have sent the information to ODHA. As regulated health professionals, dental hygienists are expected to exercise due diligence with the equipment they use.
- Rapid Response Platform – Platform connects suppliers of critical COVID-19 products with businesses and front-line workers in need. The site is free to use and acts as a central supply and demand hub, offering transparent and searchable information about PPE availability. Suppliers may offer products for donation or sale. No transactions take place on the platform.
- 3M – Personal protective equipment
- BriteHive Solutions – Genius Shield™, Aerosol Management System
Contact: Don Johnston, P: 1.800.850.3112, [email protected]
- Canadian Linen and Uniform Service Co – Barrier gown rental laundry service
Disposable vs rental cost comparison example
Contact: Rob Eisan, (London), P: 519.686.5000, C: 519.902.4884
- Canadian Linen and Uniform Service Co – Barrier gown rental/purchase, face shields
Contact: Lina Smart, (Hamilton), P: 905.661.6587, C: 289.775.7058
- CanGard – Certified N95 masks, face shields, gloves, masks
- Cintas– Disinfectant Spray and isolation/barrier gowns for rent
Contact: Tyler Smith, P: 416.992.4814, [email protected]
- CHCare – Masks, face shields, disinfecting wipes, hand sanitizer
- D2DPPE – Gowns, masks, face shields, hand sanitizer
- Dialogue Imports – Gowns, masks, face shields
- Dorma Filtration – Reusable N99 mask
- DYMON Medical – KN95 face masks
Contact: Vince Ambrico, P: 437 229 4238, [email protected]
- EmerDepot – Makrite N95 masks
- Fortiva Health – NIOSH N95 Respirators (Makrite: 910-N95FMX and 9500-N95)
Contact: Ramin Modir, [email protected]
- Gerry Health Labs – Secure Shield face shield. Click here for more information.
- Grainger Canada – Face shields
- Gibson’s Cleaners, GTA (west-end) – L2 dental gowns and free pick up/delivery cleaning program specifically designed for dentists and other oral care providers
- Henry Schein
- Ideal Displays Inc. – Masks, face shields, gloves, hand sanitizer
- Ines Di Santo – Level 1 reusable/washable isolation gowns
Contact: Veronica Di Santo-Abramowicz, P: 905 856 9115, C: 416 451 3865
- Laminati PPE – Masks, respirators, face shields, hand sanitizer
- Levitt-Safety – Dentec Half-Mask NIOSH N95 Reusable Respirator Kit (referenced by Dr. Glogauer in the Managing COVID-19: Strategies to Mitigate the Risk of Transmission webcast)
- Maitri Health – Canadian-made PPE and healthcare supply platform
- Marks Commercial – Masks, face shields, hand sanitizer
P: 1-855-592-7444, email: [email protected]
- Maxill – Masks, gloves, hand sanitizer
- Med Supply – Masks, gloves, gowns, disinfecting supplies
- Medicom – Masks, gowns, disinfecting supplies
- Polar Face Shields – Reusable/sterilizable face shield
- Safe Direct Medical Supplies – Masks, gowns, face shields, hand sanitizer
- Sales Dynamics Inc. – 5-in-1 tower air purifier, portable sanitizer, customized hand sanitizer (see promo)
Contact: Letizia Buglione, P: 416.441.1721 ext 307, C: 647.686.1499, email: [email protected]
- Second Barrier – Face shields
- Shield Savvy – Face shields
- Sinclair – Masks, gowns
- SSECare Solutions – Masks, face shields
- Sure Grip – Face Shields
- The Canadian Shield – Face shields
- The Dental Market Canada – Masks, face shields, gloves, hand sanitizer
- Weng Company Ltd – N95 respirators and nitrile gloves. Exclusive 15% discount on masks, including N95 respirators, KN95 masks, and ASTM 1, 2, and 3 masks (eg. Use discount code “ODHA” for 15% off all orders). Health Canada-approved medical-grade nitrile gloves (priced at 22.99 / box of 100).
Contact: Justin Weng, P: 647.642.8827, [email protected]
- Whitebird – Face shields, gloves, hand sanitizer
- LEO Lab – 3D printed Health Canada approved face shields (see images below).
P: 1-647-494-0488, Toll Free: 1-855-LEO-LAB1 (536-5221)