Ontario Dental Hygienists’ Association (“ODHA”)
The following describes ODHA’s policy regarding information, including the collection of personal information through the ODHA Social Media Website.
2) Collection of Data. Automatic Information.
We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many web sites, we use “cookies,” and we obtain certain types of information when your web browser accesses the ODHA Social Media Website.
3) What are Cookies?
Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer, tablet or smartphone through your web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information.
“Cookies” are used to help us understand your preferences based on previous or current website activity, which enables us to provide you with improved services. We also use “cookies” to help us compile aggregate data about website traffic and website interaction so that we can offer better website experiences and tools in the future.
“Cookies” cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your device. With the information contained in cookies, we can simplify navigation and facilitate the correct display of our website.
What are the different types of “cookies”?
A “cookie” can be classified by its lifespan and the domain to which it belongs. By lifespan, a “cookie” is either a:
- session “cookie” which is erased when the user closes the browser; or
- persistent “cookie” which remains on the user’s computer/device for a pre-defined period of time and enables our website to recognize you the next time you visit the website. However, you have the capability to prevent “cookies” from being saved on your own computer by altering the appropriate settings on your browser program.
As for the domain to which a cookie belongs, they are either:
- first-party “cookies” which are set by the web server of the visited page and share the same domain; or
- third-party “cookies” stored by a different domain to the visited page’s domain. This can happen when the webpage references a file located outside its domain.
The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether.
For step-by-step instructions on how to control and delete cookies in most browsers please visit http://www.aboutcookies.org.
Please be aware that deactivating the cookie feature in your browser may prevent us from providing you with requested services.
4) Collection of Personal Information.
(a) Personal information (“Personal Information”) that we collect at the time of your sign-up to the ODHA Social Media Website includes the following categories: First Name, Last Name.
This information will be available to the general public at all time.
(b) Personal and general information you provide to us: In the course of engaging with the ODHA Social Media Website, you or other members of the ODHA Social media Website may provide Personal Information about you and your contacts. Personal Information is often, but not exclusively, provided to us when you use the services of the ODHA Social Media Website.
This information may:
- include Profile Setup information such as your email address, company name, occupation, location, website, biographical details, phone number etc.
- include DH Profile Setup information published via “Skills”, “Portfolio”, “Projects”, “Quotes”, “Services”, “Videos”, “Images”, “Sliders” etc.
- include data provided through the ODHA News Feed, My Wall, Groups or Personal Messages feature
5) Public Page, Access to your Data and Privacy Features
(a) In the course of engaging with the ODHA Social Media Website, you may provide Personal Information that is available to the general public.
This may include but is not limited to:
– Information provided through the Profile Setup Pages such as your full name, email address, company name, occupation, location, website, biographical details, phone number etc.
– Information provided through your DH Profile Setup Pages such as “Skills”, “Portfolio”, “Projects”, “Quotes”, “Services”, “Videos”, “Images”, “Sliders” etc.
(b) In the course of engaging with the ODHA Social Media Website, you or members of the ODHA Social Media Website may provide Personal Information that is available to other members registered to the ODHA Social Media Website.
This may include but is not limited to:
– Information provided through the “ODHA News Feed”, “My Wall”, Groups or personal messages containing personal status updates, images, quotes, third party links, files etc.
(c) You can change your privacy settings by activating the “Private Account” feature in your account settings of the ODHA Social Media Website.
This will restrict most of your published information on the ODHA Social Media Website to members you engaged through the connection feature (“Friendships”).
If you choose to set your account private,
- your first name and last name remain visible to the general public.
- your profile picture, cover image, location and website information remain visible to the general public unless you remove this data from your account.
- information provided through the “ODHA News Feed”, “My Wall”, or Groups remain accessible to members you engaged through the connection feature of the ODHA Social Media Website unless you “unfriend” your connections or you otherwise remove this data from your account.
- your information published on the “Public Page” remains visible to members you engaged through the connection feature of the ODHA Social Media Website unless you “unfriend” your connections or you otherwise remove this data from your account.
(d) When you choose to
- engage on the “ODHA News Feed” or “My Wall”
- engage in groups or private groups,
- utilize the personal messaging tool,
- or activate the “Private Account” feature,
we follow reasonable and appropriate industry standards to protect your personal information and data. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or method of data storage can be guaranteed 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to protect your personal information by following generally accepted industry standards, we cannot ensure or warrant the absolute security of any information you transmit to us or archive at this site.
7) Use and Sharing of Anonymous, Passive Information.
We do not sell information to third parties. This site may make use of anonymous, passively collected and NOT personal information, including without limitation the right to use such information to provide better service to site visitors, customize the site based on your preferences, compile and analyze statistics and trends, and otherwise administer and improve this site for your use. We reserve the right to share this anonymous, passive information in aggregated form.
8) Third Party Websites.
This web site may contain links to other sites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every web site that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by the ODHA Social Media Website.
9) 3rd Party Cookies for Web Analytics.
We reserve the right to use web analytics services provided by 3rd parties. These services use 3rd party cookies (cookies passed by others, not by us) to collect passive, depersonalized information about your use of this site (see explanation of cookies above). We may use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of this site, compiling reports on website activity, and providing other services. These web analytics services may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on the service’s behalf.
10) Updating/Deleting your Personal Data.
You have the opportunity at any time to verify, amend or delete your data by using the features on the ODHA Social Media Website. You may delete your entire account at any time. You have the right to revoke previously granted consent for future interactions at any time.
Your saved personal data is deleted if you revoke your consent to save such data or if the knowledge of this data is no longer required to fulfill the purpose pursued with the saving of this data. It is deleted upon expiry of the statutory deadlines at the latest.
11) Your Privacy Choices; Provided Services.
You may withdraw your consent at any time (subject to legal or contractual obligations and on providing us reasonable notice) by communicating to us in writing. Please be aware that withdrawing your consent may prevent us from providing you with requested services.
12) Email from this Site; Opt-Out Rights.
You may receive periodic messages from us with information specific to the ODHA Social Media Website and required for the normal functioning of the site. If you prefer not to receive email messages, you may opt-out by changing your notification settings on the ODHA Social Media Website. Please be aware that withdrawing your consent may prevent us from providing you with requested services.
13) Contacting ODHA. If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of the ODHA Social Media Website, or your dealings with the ODHA Social Media website, please contact us at: Suite 108, 3425 Harvester Road, Burlington, Ontario L7N 3N1
14) Effective date. The effective date of this policy is January 28, 2019.